Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Views on Simchas Torah

We daven in a small shul “where everyone knows your name”. All the kids played together, all the women sat together and watched as all the men danced around the bema with the torahs. It was honestly an awesome site to behold. All the men were accommodating to the children that wanted to ride their shoulders and be thrown in the air at the appropriate times. So, men who had more than one child could be assured that all their children had a great time. There were smiles, laughs and a great time to be had by all.
The bidding for the honors was fun as well. In our shul women participate and I love that. Since my husband doesn’t really enjoy bidding and playing the game I am the one that does it cause I LOVE IT. I love the bidding process. I think it’s fun and exciting and really cool. In fact a few of my girlfriends with the same story we have a great time together, bidding against each other, and sometimes even our own husbands! Simchas Torah night we won ata horata and the Hakafot. I LOVED IT! I loved watching my husband dance around with the torah. It felt like I too was dancing with the torah. AWESOME!
A little background: when I was single I also liked Simchas Torah but I never really LOVED IT. Reasons: 1. I didn’t have anyone to watch out for 2. I didn’t have that community dynamic that exists in our shul now where everyone is happy for everyone else and it’s a group rejoice 3. I was just not into it.
So, overall appraisal of the holidays: Rosh Hashanah was fun, family came in so it was really good. It is a more somber time so it’s a little more subdued then Sukkoth, and Simchas Torah. Sukkoth, fun, exciting, and incredible as per usual…I love Sukkoth. I trapped a yellow jacket I think for the first time so that was pretty cool! Then I accidentally let it go, which didn’t matter too much because then it started to rain :-). Shmini Atzeret and Simchas Torah, fun, exciting and exhausting because of how much fun and excitement was had. Overall, incredible, I’ll miss the holidays till next year.
And now, let the dieting resume :-)

1 comment:

wrpn said...

By the time Simchat Torah rolls around I'm out chagged and anxious for the "Ordinary Time" that comes once the Fall Holiday season has abated. Indeed I was singing to my 7 year old "Mar Cheshvan Mar Cheshvan, Ayn Chaggim B'Mar Cheshvan. Ananchnu Zerichim L'Avodah!