Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Taking responsibility/being held responsible

The latest news of the brutal slaying of Jennifer Hudson's Mother, brother and nephew has gotten a lot of publicity over the past few days. Everyone understands that the reason that there has been so much publicity is because she is such a huge star. There have been many speculations of what happened and why it happens, but in reality there are no real answers.
A radio talk show host that I sometimes listen to on 96.3FM brought up a real interesting point; "people need to take responsibility of their actions. If you have a child you love it, nourish it and be a parent to it. Is it so wrong to say that a family has to be a MOTHER and a Father, is it so wrong in today's society to say that what was in the old was not so bad or wrong? Understandably so there are single parents out there and I salute them every day they do a hard job and they try their best. I'm talking about the ones that have kids out of wedlock out of a one night stand, out of other situations where they are left alone to raise the child(ren). A child needs a father needs a mother, needs a family! Why is that so wrong to say and considered so backwards!".
Wow, I actually think he said it well. I'm kind of surprised that someone in today's media bombardment on women power and other such notions was able to say such a remark and not lose his job. Well, we'll see about that latter part.
I think that some of his statement is very true. Children need roll models and not Mailey Cyrus, or Tom Cruise. In the Jewish/frum circles I feel this stands true as well. Although there is nothing wrong with looking up to a great Rav, yet your parents should be your roll models! Your parents should be your guidance councillors and your advisers. They are to be as big part of your life as anything else that is so crucial when you are a teenager. I think more emphasis on family life, and parenting should be done in the frum community, rather than emphasis on what has gone wrong in the community. Changing this mentality would be one step and one family at a time.
Although I didn't grow up frum, my parents were a huge part of my life. They were not my friends they were my parents and they tried to do what was right for me. None of this garbage about being friends with your kids...none of that. When they needed to they disciplined me when they needed to they rewarded me for good behaviour when they saw fit. They were and are a great motivation, inspiration and leadership in my life and in my family values and family life. Even now, I see them as my parents and not as my friends. I must respect them first and everything else second. Do I agree with everything they did? Absolutely not. Do I think that they tried and they gave it their all? Absolutely yes.
Overall, my point is if something is not how you like it or how you see fit, as a parent it is your JOB to fix it. It is your job to do right by your child and not to be their friend first. It is your job to raise a good member of society and community. It is not up to the child to raise themselves to be good, to be caring or to be anything positive.

4 comments:

wrpn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
concernedjewgirl said...

wrpn,
considering you have no blog to read, I suggest that you find someone else to critique, start with yourself. I don't appreciate your humiliating comments. I will now proceed to erase them if they are of this offending nature.
Feel free not to read my blog.

wrpn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wrpn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.