Monday, April 14, 2008

Pesach Crunch

Pesach,

Just for one second I would like to talk about how much money is being spent for Pesach. Really its not that much more than every week grocery shopping the only problem is you need everything. I don’t buy mayo every week; I’ll buy it once a month. For Pesach I need to buy it fresh and with a special label that says that it is Kosher for Pesach. I don’t buy ketchup every week; I’ll buy it once every 4 months, for Pesach not so. Same goes for a lot of the items that we are forced into buying a new even though usually we do not. It is those items that really add up. I understand others may have complaints with the actual COST of food items for Pesach. I do not. Some things cost a little more, others because I don’t usually buy them I have no idea how much they usually do cost. Yet, staples like chicken and turkey and roast beef and gifiltah fish have been on sale from week to week since before Purim. Sometimes the sale price is so good that I’ve bought even more than what I need for Pesach so that I can use it after. So really the cost of Pesach (at least in a big city, where there are options of where to go to shop) is not the topic, the true topic is the quantity of what it is that we are buying. For holidays people have more company therefore needing to buy more food.
So I have pinned down why our Pesach costs…it's our first Pesach. Last year my expense for things I need for Pesach were $4…we were married for 8 months and I bought a cutting board and a knife, all our meals we had invitations for and during the three days of Halamoid we ate veggies and matza. This year however we are starting from scratch….therefore we have to buy everything some examples; dishes, and serve wear and cutting boards and real knives and, and, and, and, and, and, and, and. Yet, I must admit, I love it. I like preparing I like the idea that my family will be together, and admittedly so I like buying new stuff for the kitchen and new serve wear and trying to find awesome deals for everything. So, after all I’m glad we knew we were going to be doing Pesach at our house and we started shopping for sales way early. I’m glad that we were 75% prepared before Purim and now we are about 95% there…

So I guess it’s not a rant after all, I’m just trying to say to everyone that reads my blog…
Have a Happy Kosher Pesach. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

For those who buy prepared foods and boxed foods, there are two types of foods to know about:
1) Will expire, eg. meat, fruits, mayonaise, etc.
2) Will stay good forever eg. matzah, matzah farfel, those fake spaghettis, etc.

In terms of (1) you have to buy fresh every year.
But in terms of (2) remember that many supermarkets, especially the non-Jewish ones that want to clear the stuff after the holiday, the prices of these things drop radically within the week after Pesach. Just lurk around until the stock boy pulls out the magic marker to adjust the price and voila, you've already saved on next year's Pesach.