Thursday, May 22, 2008

Giving מעשר

Last week in shul there was an announcement that really crawled under my skin. It started with how this year is Shmita year. True. Then it continued with how the farmers in Israel need our help. Ok. Then it continued to say that Rabbi’s in our area all approve of this particular organization and everyone should give to this one particular organization. Ok. The part which I liked the best stated that the MINIMUM to give to this organization is $180. EXCUSE ME? What does that mean MINIMUM? Does that mean if I write a check for $18 nobody will cash it? They will send it back to me saying, ‘I’m sorry this is just not enough!”
Who has the right to tell you who to give to AND how much to give? Is it the right of your rabbi? Maybe it is the right of your friends? Or maybe, just maybe it is Nobody’s business! I will not be pressured to give money to ANY organization which I am not completely comfortable giving money to. If I somehow feel that this is not for me I have the freedom to say NO and to give to another organization. Forcing people, and degrading them into giving into your organization only pushes people farther away from it.
Another fantastic point: why do people assume that any and every organization is worth while for me to give to? Just because you want to give ma’aser to this organization does not mean that I feel the same way. Thank g-d, g-d gave us the ability to pick and choose and make our own decisions. It is because of this that a lot of organizations can and do exist. If everyone picked the same ones to donate to, then only a few would really exist. Since people have the freedom of choice they can pick completely different organizations to support.
Why do people assume that by pressuring others with slogans like “the great rabbi’s in your community support this organization” is going to work on everyone? I believe that there aren’t really any good organizations that the rabbi’s of the community will not support!
It is also my prerogative as to how much money I give to an organization. If I feel strongly towards the cause then I will donate a little more, if I feel like I should give because it’s a nice thing to do then I’ll give a little less.
There also seems to be a lot of people in everyone else’s business. Nobody knows how much money I donate and to what cause so, in my humble opinion they need to stay out of my business. Little slogans like: “well you should donate to this cause because it’s not your money anyways” make me want to puke. It is my money g-d gave it to me and I will decide with the common sense which g-d gave me as well which organization I will support!

2 comments:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

In the good ol' days, farmers gave terumah to kohanim and maaser to leviim.. Now, on one hand they HAD to give teruma and maaser, otherwise they couldn't eat their produce. On the other hand, they got to choose who their recipients were.
So yes, it's not really your money. But on the other hand, it is up to you to decide where to send it.
I can think of a reason for a minimum donation though. A few years ago I raised some money for my shul for a capital improvement project and set the minimum donation at $1000 but that was because the project cost $13000 and I didn't want to chase down dozens of people who would pledge small amounts. I wanted to be able to keep everyone in my head so I could hound them effectively. So sometimes there is a reason. If you don't like the $180 minimum though, then give it to an organization that wants your support. You have that right.

DonutsMom said...

I am a very good and worthy cause to give money to. Rabbi's should tell people that my family and I want to make Aliyah but have no money. They should send me checks. I accept any donations. No minimum, no maximum.

Thanks and have a great day.

:)