Monday, May 5, 2008

Just a quick blurb about finding sales and stocking up!

Savings!

I understand that we live in a society of instant gratification. If it isn’t right now and cheap then we don’t want it. Yet, there are times when one must look around and smell the roses. Even though I’m not always good about this task I must admit that my husband and I had an awesome stocking up/shopping day. We are now stocking up for both Purim and Pesach of next year. There are some items that people can by that are just that much cheaper and I most happy to inform that I have found the said items and bought them…in bulk.
Again I understand space restraint for stocking up. Yet, I must say in America there is space for this. Most people have basements. Although we live in a high rise we too have basement space. If the basement space isn’t used to clutter ones life with silly things that one will never use again, its actually pretty useful space for stocking up on caned goods with no expiration dates. The truth is I understand people that tell me that it doesn’t make sense to stock up…I really do hear your point. Now here mine; I would rather put it in my basement and have it sit there for a year then have it sit in a store basement for a year and pay double if not triple the price next year. One tomato sauce was over $2 for this Pesach, if I can spare myself that kind of ridiculous price gouging for next year then why should I not take the opportunity? When grape juice for a small bottle is $0.33 rather than $0.79 (on sale) then you can disagree all you want, but my shaluchamanot just cost 2.4 times less than what I paid last year. So there you have it ladies and gentlemen money saving techniques for the future.
On the other hand I would like to slip in this little piece of advice; if you are saving $10 just make sure you know how much time you will spend on trying to save $10 then do the calculation of time vs. money and see what makes sense. $10x1 hr x2 people…doesn’t make tooo much sense. Yet again, $10 doesn’t exactly grow on a tree.

1 comment:

wrpn said...

There is a religion called the Latter Day Saints, i.e. the Mormons that practices this lifestyle and ideally requires church members to keep a year's supply of food in the house. My wife and I basically do this, stocking up on dairy and meat items, kept in our basement freezer.