Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I once had a car that could!

I once had a car that would start on demand. The key would go into the ignition a slight turn and BOOM we had a working car.

The last month, not so much.

I went for a walk this afternoon. Of course by the time I left the house it was already windy and the temperature had dropped. Nevertheless my walk proved to be good for coming up with a blog topic :-). One thing that walking provides that driving doesn't is the total view of other cars without your attention wavering. A lot of the cars that I saw were new. Yet, I did see a good amount of cars that looked older than mine. I'm talking about Toyota Corolla's from the mid to late 80's. Same thing with the Honda Civic saw a few of those that were at least from the early 90's. So all of these cars got me thinking...

We currently have no car payments. Our cars are owned outright. We like it like that.

So, do we get a new car? Do we go into having monthly payments? Do we go into "good" debt?
Do we buy a good used car? Do we buy it outright or do we go into a huge interest rate on used cars...something like14%???

This is something that is not exactly news to us. We knew that eventually we would need to replace one...or maybe even both of our cars. I drive a 12 year old car, my husbands car16 years old. Let's just say we knew they wouldn't live for ever.

Then there is always the option of fixing my car...or at least finding out what exactly is wrong with it.

So, do we fix something that's old and is bound to have something else break eventually? Or...any of the other above mentioned options.

Ah...the joys of unemployment...so much time to think of all the good things!!!

1 comment:

Critically Observant Jew said...

You forgot to mention that the starting problem is intermittent and it's hard to diagnose. And for the time being, being unemployed, and not traveling far, repairing this car (which would cost about $300) does make sense. Now if something more expensive goes, then it'd be a different story.