Friday, March 14, 2008

Purim vs. Finance vs. Mitzvah

I'm sorry for posting yet another finance vs. Purim, but with some question as to my first entry, I feel that I need to expand on what I have already written.

One of my friends (not a blogger), who has had difficulty posting her comments, has expressed her concern to me in regards to a few of my posts, and, of course mainly to the content in the blog as a whole. So, I'd like to address these concerns as I feel she is not the only one.

In regards to spending money on Purim and it being a Mitzvah:
This to me is a clear contradiction of what Purim giving is truly about. I may be wrong but there are two mitzvot involved: one mitzvah is to give Mishloach Manot to each other and the other is to give the poor. Now, here is where a lot of people have the dilemma. The purpose of those mitzvot is not to spend more than what you could possibly afford on giving Mishloach Manot to your neighbours friends and family; and then drop the minimum amount allowable into the pushka to 'just' be "yotze" of the other mitzvah! Why drive yourself into debt in order to really achieve nothing? On the other hand, one could do smaller packages of Mishloach Manot and whatever they 'saved' on the Mishloach Manot they can give to the poor, thereby truly fulfilling the mitzvah.

I have more to say on this in regards to different circles. Usually, if you belong to one social group or another, you have different customs and traditions of what to do or what not to do for presents, weddings, mishloach manot and such. One of my friends lives in a 'nicer' area in America. A couple of years ago she got a beautiful mishloach manot package with an obvious Apple theme. Everything had something to do with apples, ...including the apple Ipod in there! This to me sounds as a little too much. YET, in that particular neighborhood, it was right in line with other mishloach manot packages that were being delivered. Then, there are other examples that go from there to any other extreme or go to a paper bag with food for two brachot in there, and given over. Any one of the examples above or anything in between fulfills the mitzvah or distributing mishloach manot to at least two people, with food for at least two brachot. NOW, cue in the politics of some communities, along with people not managing money, and what we have is: disaster.

Now with all that said, my friend who does not post comments, but maybe will, or at least will email me back, said that her mishloach manot are usually simple, with some items bought, and some items found around the house, such as tuna, fruit cups, etc. Here is where I have a problem: "FOUND AROUND THE HOUSE"! I understand that this phrase is a figure of speech, but it is so frustrating for me. This is why:
Yesterday, I went to Costco. I bought tuna: 12 cans for $11.49. If this is one of the things found around the house, whoever does not plan for Mishloach Manot costing them money just put in ONE item costing $0.98 otherwise known as a DOLLAR for that one item! This example is what I'm talking about! If a family does not keep track of how much they spend on EVERYTHING, then they WILL spend more than they need to or want to. My example of Mishloach Manot: fruit cup: $1.79 for 4 meaning one will cost $0.45; carrots (mini pack) $5.79 for 24 meaning one will cost $0.24; mini bottles of water: $7.35 for 48 so one costs $0.15; meaning for the price of one tuna can that was "found around the house" that still needs at least one more item that will be bought to be considered a mishloach manot package, I have gotten a nice package together for $0.84 which is actually even less money then the tuna.

This is just one of the examples that I see that people are just not aware of that they do. One feels that if it's already in the house, it means that it is free. In fact, it is not free! If a family is responsible for their finances by keeping track of all the purchases they make, then they would be able to see that in fact, they are not saving money.

The other point my friend brought up was the initial investment involved in trying to save money. On this point I agree with her. In order to save you have to watch for sales and be willing to spend. She also brought up the point that in a sale you will buy more than what you usually would buy. This is true. That is why it is a sale. They want you to buy all 10 items to get it at the price that usually 3 would cost. Yet, if it is a non perishable food item, and it can last a long time, and you know that eventually it will be consumed within the time that it can stand, then it is worth it..., again it's worth it in the long run. For example, I bought shampoo. On sale, at Costco, with a coupon. The price was too good to pass up on. So naturally, I bought it. I spent less on shampoo and conditioner than the usual cost at the store. My point is: I'll put it under the cabinet and in a year this will be used. I know that that quantity will last a year. Now, I'm all set with shampoo, and at a MUCH cheaper price than the bottle that would only last me two months. Yet, initially it cost me $9. However, in the end it will cost me less than $2 than if I would have waited till I ran out and went to the store to buy it at full price with no sale or coupon.

I am not trying to be a mean or an awful friend. I'm just trying to open people's eyes and minds to the idea that money can be saved! Money if used wisely will stretch more!



That's all for now.

Soon to come, organization!

1 comment:

Ira said...

i just want to know which circle they give Ipods for Purim gifts. I would love to move to that circle ;-)