Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Traffic!!!

I would like to start out by saying that I have the out most respect for construction people. They have a very hard job. They battle all sorts of weather conditions, and all for the pleasure of people like me to have a 35 mile (55 km) commute a smooth ride.
Yesterday, while sitting in construction traffic for a little over 11/2 hours I noticed something that gave me a laugh. The traffic was bumper to bumper with no end in site. I could not only see the new road that was laid, but I could also count the groves in it. Then to my complete surprise and astonishment comes out the sign person (the person holding the sign to slow down, or stop as they need). She set up post on a nearby ramp that had approximately the same speed as the rest of us that were on the main highway… 0 mph/kmph. Even when my car did move the arrow indicating speed did not flinch I was still at 0 mph/kmph. Yet, here is this person setting up shop. I thought maybe she was going to let a truck through or something of that nature. BUT, nope I was wrong. She stood there with her sign saying SLOW down. I couldn’t help but laugh considering that out of all of the times to be actually holding this particular sign this was not one of the times.
Just a thought.

3 comments:

Critically Observant Jew said...

Could be worse. You know that the reverse side of that sign says "STOP"!

concernedjewgirl said...

Yet, one has to wonder...how much more could I stop? Should I put my car in reverse?

ProfK said...

This has happened before to me a lot what with construction on the SI Expressway, the Verrazano Bridge and the Belt all happening at once. What I wonder, though, is how much is that person getting paid to state the obvious?